Translate

Sunday

September 27


It has been 10 years since my father passed away. It is reasonable to think over time, the loss would be easier to handle, but there are many days I miss his presence and wish he was on the other end of the phone. Dealing with the loss of someone dear to us is a difficult experience.

The first year my father died, I discussed with my brothers we consider doing something our father would enjoy. It did not take long for us to agree attending a Red Sox baseball game would definitely be Dad's idea of a good time. Dad followed the Boston Red Sox all his life and was a diehard fan. As children, my two brothers and I grew up loving the game of baseball.

The first summer after my Dad passed the three of us, and our spouses selected an Oriole vs. Red Sox game to attend.  This year we celebrated our tenth annual baseball game and the group has grown to 22. Extended family, friends, and grandchildren all enjoy our tradition. The annual game is about baseball and our Dad. My brother gets to the game early to watch batting practice; my other brother gets a hotdog at my Dad's favorite place.  I smile at how my father would have enjoyed the event and been proud of the way we chose to honor his memory. Over time the tears have been replaced by smiles and laughter.

If you have lost a loved one, or know of someone who is grieving a loss, select something to do they loved. Enjoying their favorite activity will hold your loved ones close.

Weeping may remain for a night,
but rejoicing comes in the morning.

                                          Psalm 30:5b (NIV)


No comments: