Translate

Sunday

June 15


Happy Father’s Day! I became a father for the first time in 1997 and then again in 2000 – both times I was, as most young fathers are (if they would admit to it), stunned and more than a little frightened that God would entrust me with these precious lives. How was I to be a father? Did I have the skills and faith to be the parent they needed? As I grew into fatherhood some things come naturally – that funny little hip, sway bouncing move that soothes children but hurts your back oh so much or the willingness to make funny little noises (planes, dump trucks, fire trucks) or whatever it takes to get that spoonful of sweet potatoes in (and who knew pureed sweet potatoes were SO messy) some other things, came later and came suddenly. I remember the first time one of my children had an asthma attack that demanded a trip to the emergency room in the wee hours of the morning.  Then I learned, or perhaps re-learned, how to pray with a level of intensity that I think I had forgotten until I became a father.

Today I pray regularly for the wisdom and strength to be a good father. Sometimes I get there, other times, not so much, but my faith has shown me that the effort to be a better father is worth it. I have, all fathers have, been blessed with a chance to mirror for our children, in a small way, God’s great love for us…I can only pray that I am up to it. 

Dear God, thank you for the amazing blessing of fatherhood. Help me; help all fathers, and those in our lives who fill that role, to be the parents that our children and our communities need. Help us to model your love and faith in us as we seek to create a Christian environment for our families. Amen.





No comments: