Translate

Friday

February 27



Matthew 16:24-26New Living Translation (NLT)

24 Then Jesus said to his disciples, “If any of you wants to be my follower, you must turn from your selfish ways, take up your cross, and follow me. 25 If you try to hang on to your life, you will lose it. But if you give up your life for my sake, you will save it. 26 And what do you benefit if you gain the whole world but lose your own soul?[a] Is anything worth more than your soul?
During Lent I frequently hear people discuss what they are 'giving up'. Some include giving up;  desserts, soda, candy, coffee, smoking, chocolate, texting, certain TV shows, etc.... When I was a child my mother would always guide me to not decide what tangible thing I could do without for six weeks, but think of something I could work on or do better. Her comment always made me stop in my tracks.
 As I ponder the scripture from Matthew, I think that is exactly what he is saying. What is it in your life that God wants you to change? Surely there is one thing. During this time of Lent and reflection, think of what God is directing you to change. Changing something in your life that God wants you to to do is worthwhile and maybe a better choice than giving up cookies for Lent.
 What are you going to change?


No comments: