Translate

Wednesday

June 3




            I recently took a brief three day trip to see family.  The route north went through mountainous scenery.  The highway is halfway up the mountainside and for a long way there simply stretched the majestic mountains, dressed in that light fresh green of spring foliage while the river twisted ribbon-like below.  I couldn’t help thinking of the Psalm: “I lift up my eyes to the hills; from where will my help come? It comes from the Lord who made heaven and earth.” (Psalm 121:1)  And since my  trip back to Maryland made a big loop, I returned by traveling along another river—wide and scenic and quiet.  The view reflected how I felt.  I’d visited family, including four cousins whom I had not seen for four years.  It had been a wonderful time.  There were other Psalter words flowing through my mind and heart: “God leads me beside still waters; he restores my soul.” (Psalm 23:2b}


            The psalms catch both the majesty of God’s creation and the state of our own  minds and hearts. And in those holy words we find comfort, identity, hope and peace.  As the world happens all around you today, be ready for the hands of God to enfold you and be grateful for recalled words of scripture that speak to you.  For a moment, let your prayer take some form like this: “Be still and know that I am God.” ( Psalm 46:10).   Amen


No comments: