Translate

Monday

October 22




It always surprises me when I hear something I have heard many times before and suddenly not only my ears, but my mind and heart are really open to hearing it. This happens to me most with scripture and songs. This recently happened to me with the song “I Have This Hope” by the group Tenth Avenue North. I heard this song awhile ago and liked it a lot and then I heard it again recently in my car coming home from work and it was like it was the first time I ever heard it. It made me stop and really listen to the the message of the song. “But I have this hope in the depth of my soul, in the flood or the fire, You’re with me and You won’t let go”. Not a new message by any means for Christians, but sometimes you just need to “hear” things in a different way. I truly felt the presence of God with me listening to that song. I went home and researched the song and it was written for one of the band member’s sister-in-law who was recently diagnosed with stage 4 cancer. The song is rooted in verses from Isaiah 43:1-3:

…Fear not, for I have redeemed you; I have summoned you by name; you are mine. When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; and when you pass through the rivers, they will not sweep over you. When you walk through the fire, you will not be burned; For I am the Lord your God….

Note it doesn’t say *if* you pass through the waters, rivers, or fire, but *WHEN*. We don’t understand why all this pain and suffering happens to us. Our human nature wants to know why. Most of the time we never find out why. If only we could truly surrender and let God carry us through. I don’t know about you, but I am not very good at doing that in the middle of suffering and pain. Maybe that is why I have to hear that message over and over again so that  maybe one day I will finally understand and truly hear  the message that God is present with us through whatever happens.


If anyone has ears to hear, let him hear. -Mark 4:23


No comments: